There are so many variations to this classic soup, but this is our family traditional taco soup recipe. I have been making it since before I was married! Mix up your taco Tuesday nights and try this taco soup!
Click to save this Pin for later!
Some links are affiliate links, which means I might make a small commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Soup season is among us, and this soup is in my top five favorites! It is quick and easy to prepare with tons of flavor and health benefits!
How To Make Traditional Taco Soup
- Meat: hamburger
- Veggies: onion, bell pepper, and garlic cloves
- Homemade: Bone Broth (can substitute beef stock)
- Canned goods: diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, corn (frozen, fresh, or 1 can drained)
- Spices: cumin powder, chili powder, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper
What are the benefits of bone broth?
I have an entire article teaching about the amazing benefits of bone broth and how to make it! It is so easy and inexpensive to make from home. Not to mention the quality is going to be far better than what you can buy from the store. I substitute bone broth for water in all my soup recipes because bone broth is just packed with an enormous amount of nutrients. Below are some of the amazing benefits of bone broth!
- Minerals and components within bone broth are important for cellular function. They aid in the remineralization of our own skeletal system, especially as we age. Not only is this important as we age, but also as we are developing.
- Collagen is a component of bone broth. Collagen is connective; therefore, it helps strengthen your hair, nails, skin, tissues, and pelvic floor.
- Collagen aids in the proper growth and development of a baby while in utero and as a young child growing and developing.
- Bone broth stimulates the immune and protective response in our body to fight against foreign material! How cool is that – it is literally fuel for our immune system’s response. (source)
- Bone broth contains gelatin which helps repair the gut lining. In some cases, this can help those with food sensitivities related to leaky gut.
- Bone broth contains potassium and glycine which aid the liver in detoxification.
- Bone broth contains arginine, glycine, and glutamine which promote a well-functioning metabolism.
Steps for making taco soup
This is a one pot dinner that makes about 1 gallon of soup. It’s great for feeding a crowd or large family! It is so easy to dump in the ingredients and cook on the stove top, you might want to add it to your regular monthly meals!
- Chop your veggies first, then you can just dump and cook quickly.
- Add a little grease to the bottom of a large soup pot and brown your hamburger on medium heat. Be sure to break the hamburger into small pieces.
- Add your veggies to the soup pan, cooking until the onion is soft and fragrant.
- Pour your bone broth, all the canned ingredients, and corn into your pot and bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil, reduce heat and add the spices. Mix well.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with the recommended toppings!
Don’t forget to comment and rate this Traditional Taco Soup Recipe!
For he satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness.
- 1 lb Hamburger browned
- 1 Onion, medium finely diced
- 1 Bell Pepper finely diced
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 6 cups Bone Broth can sub beef stock
- 1 can (16 oz) Diced Tomatoes
- 1 can (16 oz) Tomato Sauce
- 1 can (16 oz) Black Beans drained, rinsed
- 1 can (16 oz) Kidney Beans drained, rinsed
- 1 can (16 oz) Pinto Beans drained, rinsed
- 1 cup Corn frozen, fresh, or 1 can drained
- 2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Cayenne
- Shredded Cheese
- Avocado diced
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla Chips
- Squeezed Lime
- Start by browning your 1 lb Hamburger on medium heat in the bottom of a large soup pan.
- Once your hamburger is cooked, add your diced veggies: 1 Onion, medium, 1 Bell Pepper, and 3-4 Garlic Cloves. Cook until the onion is softened.
- Pour 6 cups Bone Broth (or beef stock), 1 can (16 oz) Diced Tomatoes, 1 can (16 oz) Tomato Sauce, 1 can (16 oz) Black Beans, 1 can (16 oz) Kidney Beans, 1 can (16 oz) Pinto Beans, and 1 cup Corn. Turn your heat to medium-high.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat back to medium and add 2 tsp Cumin Powder, 1 tsp Chili Powder, 1 tsp Salt, ½ tsp Black Pepper, and ¼ tsp Cayenne. Mix well.
- When you are ready to serve, top with Shredded Cheese, Avocado, Cilantro, Sour Cream, Tortilla Chips, Squeezed Lime.
If you like this recipe and are looking for more dinner ideas check out these dinners our family loves:
- Zuppa Toscana
- Fried Turkey Thighs With Alfredo Noodles
- How To Make A Delicious And Easy Lasagna
- How To Make Perfect Venison Roast