Warm, creamy, and dreamy! This really is the best homemade alfredo sauce that leaves you wanting more. You are likely to go back for seconds and maybe even thirds. Who knows you might even want to lick the pan!
Why This Recipe Is The Best Alfredo Sauce
Admittedly, I am not a huge pasta fan. I make pasta dishes due to family requests when putting together meal plans. Occasionally I will get a craving for an alfredo dish. Needless to say, it has to taste really good to impress me since I typically don’t go for pasta dishes. I like this recipe because it is so creamy and inviting. I use a good amount of garlic and a blend of spices that create that Italian feel in your dish. Let’s get started!
How to Make Alfredo Sauce
We like to cook things from scratch in our kitchen as often as time allows us. There are those exceptional times when we use a pre-made something. However, making it from scratch means we know exactly what we are putting in our bodies – no hidden ingredients. Let’s take a look:
- For the roux – butter and flour
- Heavy cream – creates a rich and creamy body
- The blend of spices: garlic, oregano, basil, marjoram, onion powder, salt, and pepper – these create that traditional Italian flavor
- Parmesan cheese – freshly grated or store bought grated cheese will help to thicken the sauce and add another creamy flavor to the sauce
Steps for Making Alfredo Sauce
- You will want to mince the garlic before getting started.
- Setting a saucepan over medium-low heat on your stovetop, melt the butter with the minced garlic.
- Next we will be making a roux. A roux is when you combine a fat with flour. This will become your thickening agent in your sauce. For this recipe we are using butter with flour.
- Once the butter is melted add flour, whisk this until it is completely incorporated.
- While continually whisking, slowly pour in the heavy cream and turn to medium heat.
- Once combined add in your spices of oregano, basil, marjoram, onion, salt and pepper.
- Lastly, add the parmesan, this step will also help to thicken up your sauce and add that distinct favor to traditional alfredo sauce.
- Continue whisking until the liquid becomes thickened to your preference.
Tips and Advice
- I like to premeasure all the spices and ingredients before starting so that I can quickly dump them without missing a beat in whisking.
- If you use too high of a heat it can burn the sauce causing separation, so be sure to not do more than medium heat.
- This will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days in an air tight container.
- This will make a lot. I make this for my family of 6.
- Try this in my Fried Turkey Thighs With Alfredo Noodles recipe. You can substitute chicken in that recipe if you don’t have turkey thighs.
The Best Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- 1 stick (113g) butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp basil
- ½ tsp marjoram
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3 cups parmesan
- Place a medium saucepan on the stovetop and turn to low heat.
- Add 1 stick (113g) butter and 1 tbsp garlic to your saucepan.
- Once the butter is melted add ¼ cup flour, whisk this until it is completely incorporated.
- While continually whisking, slowly pour in 3 cups heavy cream turn to medium heat.
- Once combined add in your spices: 1 tsp oregano, ½ tsp basil, ½ tsp marjoram, ½ tsp onion, 1 tsp saltd ½ tsp pepper.
- Lastly, add 3 cups parmesan
- Continue whisking until the liquid becomes thickened to your preference .
- Serve warm over noodles!
Let me know if the comments below if you will try our best homemade alfredo sauce recipe!
For he satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness.
If you like this recipe and are looking for more dinner ideas check out these dinners our family loves:
Need some breakfast ideas? Try out these Einkorn flour recipes!
Would you like some weekly meal planning inspiration? See how I plan meals behind the scenes for my family and click to read more!